Hi everyone! We are back from our cross country road trip. In 17 days we drove 6500 miles, visited 20 states and one Canadian providence and took over 1400 pictures.
Picking just one for each day proved to be really tough, but I'm sticking to my one picture a day rule! I will be sharing more picture on my other blog so if you want you can check over there in the days to come!
I normally share my shots in reverse order, but with so many shots it is easier to show them from start to finish.
Day 173 {Williams Arizona}
Our first stop was Williams Arizona. The predominate theme in the town was based around the old west and old route 66. It was cute and we enjoyed walking around the town.
Day 174 {The Grand Canyon}
What can I say about the Grand Canyon? It took my breath away. I have a fairly strong fear of heights so being on the edge of the canyon was a little anxiety producing. Incredible place and one that should be on every one's bucket list.
**Photo credit to my 11 year old daughter Kate who took this shot with my Nikon point and shot!
After visiting the Grand Canyon we traveled to Albuquerque New Mexico. Seriously boring drive!
Day 175 {Cadillac Ranch}
After leaving New Mexico we headed through the top of Texas to Oklahoma City. In Texas we stopped to check out the Cadillac Ranch. What is it? Nine old Cadillac's buried in a dirt field!
We really enjoyed our stop in Oklahoma City. We visited the Federal building memorial in the evening and it was quite moving. Something to check out if you are ever in there.
Day 176 {North Little Rock Day 1}
We stopped in North Little Rock to visit my Aunt, Uncle and cousins family. Such a fun time seeing family, but good lord was it hot. I believe it was a toasty 98 degrees with 100% humidity!
This kind of heat produces what my cousins like to refer to as PIG HOG sweat. This shot is from an old mill.
Day 177 {North Little Rock Day 2}
Despite the heat we took a trolley ride tour of the downtown area. One of the stops we made was at this Market place (one that I remember from past visits). I love the vibe at this market place.
We would have loved to have done more site seeing but it was just too darn hot. It is amazing how that kind of heat just sucks the life out of you!
Day 178 {Water Tower AKA: Alien beacon}
After leaving Arkansas through Tennessee towards Georgetown Kentucky. I love how so many towns we drove by had these water towers displaying their town pride. They kind of look like Alien beacons to me.
Day 179 {Jamestown New York - Day one}
After leaving Kentucky we drove through Ohio (loved the buildings in Cleveland), through the corner of Pennsylvania and into Jamestown New York.
This is where my husband grew up and his parents still live. This shot was over Chautaqua lake and was probably the most gorgeous sunset of our trip.
Day 180 {Jamestown - Day two}
Each time we visit the girls help their Grandpa plant flowers in his yard.
Day 181 {Jamestown - Day three}
We went over to Beamus Point to do some fishing. Beamus Point is probably one of my most favorite places near Jamestown. It is such a cute little lake town.
Day 182 {Jamestown - Day four}
Just down the street from my in laws house is this beautiful old cemetery. They have a few special sections for veterans (most from Korea and World War 11). They had flags at all of the veterans plots. It was a pretty site.
Day 183 {Niagara Falls - Ontario Canada}
After leaving Jamestown we stopped at Niagara Falls in Ontario Canada. I'm sure most of you have seen the falls so I'm sharing a shot from the "fun" street near the Falls.
After spending some time at the Falls we headed through Ontario to our next stop of Sudbury. Once we got past Toronto the drive was gorgeous. You couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting a beautiful lake!
Day 184 {Marquette Michigan}
Our next stop was Marquette Michigan. What an adorable little town. After exploring the town and having one of our best dinners at an Irish pub we headed down to the beach so the girls could dip their toes in Lake Superior.
Day 185 {Fourth of July in Duluth Minnesota}
Our next stop was Duluth Minnesota. We stayed in the Canal area of town. In the park just down the street from our hotel was where all the fourth of July festivities were going on. It was so much fun.
Before we checked into our hotel we drove up to Hibbing so that my husband could see the childhood home of Bob Dylan. We all tease Jim that going to Bob Dylans childhood home was the real reason we took this road trip. :)
Day 186 {North Dakota}
After spending the morning in Duluth we headed off to Bismark North Dakota. Along the way we stopped in Jamestown ND to see the Worlds Largest Buffalo. I love kitchy stuff like this.
Day 187 {Montana}
We headed to Livingston Montana after our stop in North Dakota. Even though the drive was pretty flat it was beautiful.
Day 188 {Yellowstone National Park}
Next stop.......Yellowstone National Park. We waited around to see Old Faithful spout off. This is a shot from the Mammoth hot springs area. The entire park was breath taking. Another must have stop.
Day 189 {Nevada}
After driving through Yellowstone we drove down to Salt Lake City Utah. We were playing on stopping in Las Vegas, but it is so close to home (and we aren't big fans of Vegas) that we decided to just head home.
So after 11 hours of driving we made it back to San Diego. I believe this shot is near Bryce Canyon. The picture doesn't do the huge rock walls justice. You feel so insignificant as you drive through these massive rock walls.
We are going to plan to come back to go to Bryce Canyon and Zion when it isn't over 100 degrees. :)
Congratulations if you actually made it to the end. Hopefully you enjoyed our tour across the country. It really is amazing how big and beautiful the USA is.
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




















19 comments:
I don't know where to start here - these pictures are awesome! I love them all, but am glad you included one from my state - Michigan!
What a trip!!!! I am tired just looking at the pictures. When you went through Utah -- you went right by me!! :)
Fabulous photos! The sunset is spectacular! Hope to see more views from your trip. Glad you enjoyed your visit to Oklahoma City.
what wonderful photos!!! you certainly had a ROAD TRIP! that is amazing...i love that you stopped in Texas at the Cadillac ranch, what a let down, right? lol. i wish we would have had something more scenic to offer you in the north panhandle. I LOVE all these photos!
Be sure I enjoyed it!! Fantastic shots and I'm going to visit your other blog to see a little bit more!
It must have been an amazing journey, you visited so many interesting places!!
Thanks for sharing all your impressions with us!
Hugs, maike
Great travelogue ... my family used to do road trips like that when my dad was transferred to a new military base ... thanks for the memory boosters! It really is a big beautiful country, and it's amazing that we can just drive around it whenever we want. So many interesting things and people ... can't wait to see more of your 1400 photos! Thanks so much for sharing
... with love from the mountains ...
Fantastic! You did not disappoint!
All were fantastic and amazing shots. My favs are: 173..love the colors, 174..Fantastic capture Kate!, 181..probably my favorite, I love the peacefulness of the boats, 187..fantastic composition & 188..breathtaking!
So happy it was a great trip for you and the family. =D
can't pick a fave! but, I'm with you on the kitsch. we've driven past the exit for Metropolis, IL, home of Superman, but my husband won't stop. we'll get there eventually... :-)
blessings & glad you're home safe!
such GREAT pictures!!! Got to love that pig hawg heat!
fabulous and breath taking shots! Seems you had fantastic holidays.
A friend of mine had moved to Canada/Toronto
Niagara Falls! You were close to me!
Love the windmill pic!
Just very nice pictures out of your life ... The mountains are huge! amazing sunset! Have a nice day!
Wow! You sure went a long way in just a few days! I'm breathless just thinking about it. :)
It really IS amzaing, isn't it.. this looks like an incredible trip!!! I hope to do something like this one day with our boys.. what an amazing bonding experience!
Loving the shots.. I esp love: the cadillac, that amazing sunset, and the boats. Such a different feel for each shot you posted.
And 6500 miles... really?! Any oil changes? (:
And Michelle. I have GOT to know. How long did it take you (total) to post that post? More than an hour?? (I need to do the same thing for a trip and am putting it off.)
seriously, Michelle, you were in NORTH LITTLE ROCK?!!! I live in West Little rock!!! I am so bummed, I would have loved to meet you!!!
What a great vacation. Love all your photos. I'll try to get to your other blog this weekend to see more - just returned after three weeks in hot and humid East Texas. I know what pig hog sweat is!
173 - Did you happen to eat at Rod's Steakhouse in Williams? It started being famous in 1946!
174 - Kate did good with her Grand Canyon pic.
184 - Marquette - my favorite pic of the whole lot.
185 - Bob Dylan would be the reason I'd go to Duluth.
Wow, what a fantastic road trip!! I've always been a fan of road trips, the real American way to do a trip right, in my book. Forget flying!
Loved all your pics... hey, you passed close to my home, Akron, Ohio, when you went through Cleveland (I'm heading back to Akron in a few weeks to visit my son & his wife, and my new granddaughter!)... and Yellowstone, one of my most fav places in the U.S. I've been there 4 or 5 times. Can't get enough of that place, it speaks to my soul.
Awesome pics, and it sure sounds like you guys had a wonderful time!
Post a Comment